> Shortly afterwards I discovered that the faster operators were using
> the Search to navigate the space and not bothering with the left nav.
>

> I seriously thought of the possibility of removing it as perhaps a way to
> stop
> users wasting time drilling down looking for things when they could find it
> much more quickly with the Search.

You have a paradox. How will new users know what to search for (what content
exists on the site) without the left-hand navigation?

Navigation serves not only to get people through a space, but also to let
them know what's there in the first place. Your power users started with the
side-nav and eventually moved to Search, after they got comfortable with the
site, but beginning users can't become intermediate users unless you provide
ways for them get up to speed—hence, the side-nav is necessary.

-r-