There is a nice bibliography to get you started in the wikipedia entry for consumer behavior. I follow the Engel model pretty closely, and contrast it to the 'funnel'. The funnel is a fine model if you are interested in selling. It simplifies the process and emphasizes the direct route to purchase, which is really not what the consumer does.... but the point of most sales initiatives is to get to the point of a purchase as fast and inexpensively as is possible. You can probably see the inherent conflict between the two.

Mark