Uh, I may be stupid here, but how is it that consumers (users) mentioned
below do not contribute to the profitability of the site?

Their eyeballs quite literally ARE the profitability. Or is this a which
came first, chicken or the egg question?

Without eyeballs, do you have profitability? Let me amend that: Without
Happy Eyeballs, do you have profitability?

Chris