There is a new book out that relates to this topic:

Goldstein, N. J., Martin, Steve, J., & Cialdinia, R. B. (2008). Yes!:
50 scientifically proven ways to be persuasive. New York, NY: Free
press.

The title seems a little hokey, but the authors have solid credentials
and each of the 50 chapters has footnotes to research.

Chauncey