This is a good discussion.  B. J. Fogg's book, Persuasive Technology:
Using Computers to Change What we Think and Do (2003) addresses the
issue of making our products persuasive.  He addresses questions of
ethics in Chapter 9.  He highlights a heuristic for analyzing the
ethics of persuasive technologies.  The persuasiveness of a product is
definately part of the user experience.  Much of the work in social
psychology on the principles of persuasion apply to computer
technologies. Nearly any product involves either implicit or explicit
persuasive design since you want people to read something, buy
something, change attitudes about something, etc.  If you are a
consultant and you list papers that people can access, that is
persuasiveness technology to get you to hire that consultant or use
the consultant's products or change your attitudes toward the
consultant's expertise.

You might want to read Robert Cialdini's book on persuasion where he
delves into the real world application of social psychological
principles of persuasion to show how we are all susceptible to those
principles.  His book is:

Cialdini, R. B. (2001). Influence: Science and Practice. Boston: Allyn
and Bacon.

Cialdini describes how persuasion is enhanced by "likability", for
example  -- we are more persuaded by a person or product that we like
because of attractiveness, simillarity to us in some way,
compliments, and even constant contact.  These are all things that we
try to design into our products.

Fogg created the term "captology" to refer to "computers and
persuasive technology" and he and his students have been doing project
on how to effectively apply principles of persuasion to the design of
computer products.  If you do a search on Captology, you'll find other
examples of persuasive design.

These same principles apply to the relationships that we have with our
colleagues and can be used to make our recommendations more
persuasive.  I wrote about this a few years ago in "interactions"
magazine (SIGCHI magazine).  This is a very important topic and worth
some discussion or perhaps a session at the IxDA conference in
Vancouver.

Chauncey