A big source of confusion is equating what you can do as being the
same as what you know.  Many people will advocate devoting all your
energies into creating a portfolio so you can demostrate you can do
certain things.  Showing is always powerful, but has its  limits.

In my experience, what you can show as an individual in a portfolio
is not always a reliable guide to what you can contribute to a
diverse team on a complex project.  Portfolios showcase individual
efforts, and tend to be either prosaic -- one person alone can only
do something a given complexity, or highly conceptual -- some future
idea that may be unbuildable as a practical matter, even if the idea
shows great creativity.  Real world design may involve many dozens of
people contributing to the interaction design, even if one person
claims the credit as the "lead designer."   Once you rely on
portfolios to show group effots, you aren't really showing, you are
telling, since it isn't possible to unpack the collaboration just by
looking at it.

The value of theory, or better still, the accumulated evidence of
behavior, is that we can leverage insights from what we ourselves
have't had the possibility to work on directly.

We have reached the point in IxD where specialization is required  to
do most work that is interesting and path breaking.  Teams of dozens
of people with various skills -- understanding aesthetics, people and
computer programming, are required.  What one specializes in and how
one contributes should be determined by which of these things one is
most interested in.  Personally, I am interested most in people, not
art or technology.  For me, beauty is fitness to purpose, not
anything visual.  People can love ugly looking things, and I think
that's great.

So when thinking about the value of portfolios, ask "where are the
people?"  Hopefully there will be more to show than a one-page
persona.