This is the course descriptions as taken from the Pratt Web site:

Drawing for Product Design – Fall 2004

      The purpose of this course is to help you prepare for admission
to the Pratt Graduate Industrial Design program. Develop your drawing
skills to a level that will allow you to quickly and accurately
visualize your ideas. The course will culminate in presentation
drawings, which can be valuable additions to a portfolio. Topics
include: two- and three-point perspective; ideation through freehand
sketching techniques; presentation techniques; introduction to marker
rendering and technical drawing/drafting. Special permission is
required to take this course;

[Dave's notes: The course was basically a series of weekly lessons in
drawing: straight lines, cubes, elipses, and then learning how to
combine them to create more complex objects, the class then asked you
to design objects through rendering with markers to create more
realism.]

Product Design – Fall 2004

      Intended for those students interested in gaining admission to
Pratt's graduate industrial design program, this course introduces
students to product design, with a workload similar to a graduate
level class. Students are given weekly assignments with an emphasis on
creative problem solving, lateral thinking, conveying ideas quickly,
visual presentation, and model-making techniques. Students are taken
through multiple design problems culminating in numerous finished,
painted models. Topics include: what designers do and how they do it;
critical thinking and theory; the design process; creating a
portfolio; manufacturing processes; modeling and prototype techniques.
Special permission is required to take this course;

[Dave's Notes: There were several projects that asked you to actually
create models of designs. I worked in styrofeme, Styrofoam, insulation
foam, etc. I worked on multiple iterations through each project and
the final project had to be an appearance model (high fidelity) that
was pained.]

Both classes had homework on the order of 10-15 hours per week.
Yup!!!! But that is nothing compared to the amount of work you do
outside of class time in an ID Masters (and bachelors) program. I
think this last point is really key. A typical ID MAsters student is
working 15-18 hour days at Pratt (one of the reasons I didn't go
through w/ it, if I must be honest). But my point is not to be scary,
but to express again how much the experience is about an intensive
behavior modification program to mold you into a designer with
extremely strong foundations.

I'm sure other design schools can/should offer something similar as
the above or be coaxed.

-- dave

--
David Malouf