Sometimes I like to e-mail offending websites as an unassuming
user-off-the-street and ask the dumb question -- why doesn't your
website work the way I expect it to?

If these sites get enough negative feedback, it's like free user
research, right?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/admin/help/popup/frame_pageAskQuestion.html