Hi there WIll,

I understand how you might have been able to label what I was saying
about hyperlinks being contextual as "contextual links". But this
is not what I was referring to.

I understand there are certain things called "contextual links".
But my point is that all links are contextual. If they're placed
within a menu/navigation that doesn't make them any less contextual,
though I do understand that traditionally (old school! hah) these are
referred as "non-contextual links".

I hope you weren't offended by the whole "old school" thing, I was
just accepting the invite! ;)

By "contextual", what I actually mean is that links behave
differently in different environmental contexts. And those contexts
can be learnt (though they shouldn't need to be learnt). Users of
the Washington Post website will eventually learn that within the
given context of the Post's website, hyperlinks will act a certain
way (ie lead to that page you dislike). This doesn't make them NOT a
hyperlink. It makes them a non-intuitive hyperlink, because it's a
new model in an unknown context. Until they learn the model, and
learn the context the links are not intuitive.