I will call you old school.

I totally get what you're getting at. I really do. I like the idea
that if a noun acts as a hyperlink, it should lead to the actual
object that it describes.

However, this has always been contextual, and as far as I can see,
will always be contextual. You're looking for a single object, but
that can be different things in different contexts.

A simple example: on Yahoo, if I click on a category, it will bring
me to a more detailed search of all things within that category
(until a certain point of course).

If within wikipedia though, I click on a hyperlink within an article
it will go to an article of that object within wikipedia. (check the
bottom of a wikipedia article however, and you will find hyperlinks
to out-of-context locations, but they are clearly marked and labelled
to GIVE them context).

Naturally, within the wikipedia scenario, we have the context of the
"Wikipedia Experience". Users using wikipedia expect the hyperlinks
to do a certain thing because they understand the context they are
within. People using Yahoo expect the hyperlinks to act a certain way
because they understand the context they are within.

Hmm I hope I'm being clear here. Basically, what I'm trying to
express is that within a certain environment, hyperlinks... even
links in general, do different things. I feel like I could go really
deep with this.

It all comes down to the nature of the click of a mouse-button. Your
question "When is a hyperlink NOT?". That's actually a tough
question I think.

We could limit the scope of context to that within a web-browser or
even within a web-site. But that does nothing, because we are still
dealing with mouse-clicks. And mouse-clicks, surely, have always been
contextual. The only universal thing that is expected from any obvious
clickable object being clicked on, is that SOMETHING will happen. What
that is... is a matter of intuition.

And this is where us designers come into play. A primary goal of ours
is (or should be) to understand what is INTUITIVE. And moreso, make
the things that are being used, intuitive.

I do agree that the Washington Post and others alike that use a
similar hyperlinking strategy are a bit off the mark usability wise.
Is it intuitive?

In fact I think the question should be: "When is a hyperlink NOT
intuitive?"