Nobody is speaking up in defense of Typepad, and as a beta tester
since it first came out in 2002, I suppose I might note a few points
(I manage about 30 Typepad blogs, many migrated from Movable before
that, and am getting ready to start working in Wordpress, for a new
project).

Several things a good designer can do with Typepad that some people
seem to struggle with on Wordpress (although I'm not anticipating
having any trouble with it myself), which is CSS modifications, and
sidebar or menu modifications. I've yet to encounter blog software I
can't twist up royally, and use for all kinds of things it was never
intended (altho blog software keeps evolving to add plug-ins for
things that I've already kludged out earlier, which ends up making my
work in vain).

So while, design-wise, Wordpress is luring me with wider design
possibilities than Typepad, it is only out of my own laziness, because
I am convinced that if I took the time, I can adapt ANY site CSS for
use in Typepad. But the beauty of blog software is that it is a quick
and dirty CMS, and I just don't want to take the time, and I want to
move into a completely different look and feel.

Typepad has both Custom CSS and Advanced Templates. I actually built
all my Advanced Templates before they came out with the Custom CSS
features, around about 2005 or so. What was handy for me, and a key
point I want to make, is that it was SO EASY (the user interface for
content input). I was teaching at the time in Montana, and while we
were moving the student newspaper to Expression Engine (powerful, but
a difficult user interface for newbies), it was WAY QUICKER to just
punt my students all to guest accounts on my Typepad class blog, and
have them branch out and start building their own blogs from that.
Semesters are too short, esp if you are the kind of professor that
also makes students READ wonky stuff and DISCUSS  things, rather than
just play on the computers all day.

That's the rub, eh? Typepad hasn't dominated just because it is easy
to use, but because PEOPLE LIKE using it, and that makes them feel
encouraged to post, to stick with their blogs, to be enthusiastic as
they step up to start a post. McLuhan would point out, the kinds of
conversations you have by candlelight are far different than the kinds
of conversations you have under fluorescent light. Here we are,
interaction designers, and nobody is talking about the subtle
colorations the blog input interface brings to the kinds of things one
writes about, and how writers FEEL about the interface.

One of my Montana students then later took an internship at the LA
Times, where he reported to me that they were running Typepad blogs
out through the LA Times shell, this before Six Apart even started
officially offering the business tools for Typepad. He said he noticed
an interesting effect (because he was working with the journalists on
these blogs). The journalists would automatically start to prefer
putting their stories into Typepad, while procrastinating when they
had to approach their regular, "official" newspaper CMS. I know this
as well from CNN, where they didn't have comparative data, but the CMS
was such an awkward old clunker, it made ordinary journalists view
their interaction with it as a necessary evil.

Imagine what happens to writers when you take away the "evil" part of that.

So yeah, I'm lazy, and I just realized the other day that I haven't
touched the CSS of my Typepad Advanced Templates in a long time, and
they are starting to show their age, and Typepad may be too. Not its
user input interface tho. And I also remember this from back in the
day, when I was on Radio Userland blogs and migrated THAT design
(which was not CSS based, EVIL) to Movable. It was like night and day.
But Movable is still powerful, but also showing its age. I just don't
trust its guts, cuz it messed up my SQL stuff terribly, and the
comment spam on even password-protected blogs was simply unforgivable.

But those kids, Ben and Mena Trott, now probably long gone from Six
Apart, they had it going on, you know? You know that Movable and
Typepad were running their feeds automatically to index.rdf files in
the early 2000s. Why are some people having to work to tool up their
Wordpress stuff for RDF? I've taken it for granted for almost 8 years.
Blah.

If you want the best control over your CSS, you can't beat Typepad.
Custom CSS is brilliant, even if I've only needed it for teaching.
That's just cuz I was too lazy to move out of my Advanced Templates,
but if I had to start from scratch now, I'd be in nothing but the
Custom CSS stuff.

But I am looking forward to a fresh start, and a powerful new
Wordpress theme I'm looking to try out.

Chris