This came up in a discussion I was in the other day too, about whether
blog software is a de facto content management system. My argument
here would be, if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks
like a duck, it must be a duck.

So, like there were lots of people who turned up their nose at HTML
back in the early days, because it was such a thin and pale imitation
of SGML, a REAL markup language, after all.

So why did HTML in effect trump SGML? Could it be because its ease of
use enabled far greater widespread distributed or democratized uses
than the more powerful and full-featured SGML?

For that matter, why would anyone use a PC, a weak, desktop machine,
when mainframes are so much more powerful, and do so many more things.
Could it be because the ease of use enabled far greater widespread
distributed or democratized uses than the more powerful and full
featured mainframes and "microcomputers"?

Chris