Hi Santiago and Jeff. Thanks for your replies. Jeff, I've barely
skimmed the Joomla site but will take a closer look.

Santiago: Actually, you've understood my problem exactly. I chose
WordPress initially because I thought the best solution for me would
be to modify an existing theme, and WP is reputed to have the
greatest number of free high quality themes.

I soon discovered that themes designed by others were not going to
work for me, and that in any case, modifying them was more difficult
than simply editing the CSS. I've accepted that I'm going to have
to build my own templates--but I'm going to have to build them no
matter which CMS I choose.

Drupal claims that it works on a different conceptual model, which I
find interesting. One thing I like about it--this may be relevant to
the discussion at large--is that the site administration interface is
very easy to use.

Elena