Christine Boese wrote:
Nobody is speaking up in defense of Typepad....
 Here we are,
interaction designers, and nobody is talking about the subtle
colorations the blog input interface brings to the kinds of things one
writes about, and how writers FEEL about the interface.

If you want the best control over your CSS, you can't beat Typepad.
Custom CSS is brilliant, even if I've only needed it for teaching.
That's just cuz I was too lazy to move out of my Advanced Templates,
but if I had to start from scratch now, I'd be in nothing but the
Custom CSS stuff

Chris, I'm bowled over by your passionate defense of Typepad! To be fair, though, I think it hasn't been raised as a possibility because in my original post, I specified that I was looking for a free CMS. To get control over CSS and advanced templates in Typepad, I'd have to pay $15/mo.

I'm not making any kind of statement about the business model--just about my current budget.

I'm definitely interested in the kind of discussion about interface you're describing. It seems to me that one of the reasons Typepad can charge $5/mo for the basic, single-blog, non-customizable feature set is because of the high quality of its UI. When I said that Drupal's interface was "easy to use," I meant that it has very sensible architecture. The UI is nothing to speak of, though.