On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:11 PM, Christina Wodtke wrote:

this may be the most notable
http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/human-centered.html

The trick to all this -- imho -- is understanding what a good designer actually does. Regardless if that designer is designing cars, clothes, products or systems.

Ultimately, good design is not about UCD, ACD, genius design, waterfall, agile or whatever label you want to put it on. Those are all marketing terms in the end, some trying to describe a process that exists, while others are trying to define a process when one does not exist because the people on the job are lacking in some respect. In the latter case, there's usually an intention of creating some baseline that often can't be met because what's lacking is simply good designers on the job.

Good designers consistently do two things:

1) Define and understand the problem in relevant terms
2) Solve the problem elegantly

Once you get that, the rest is just meddling for little value in return.

I've disliked the term UCD for so long because to even consider the term, one has to reconsider what it is that I do as a designer at a tactical level because the premise is that I don't know what it is that I do. At best, the terms UCD and ACD are redundant to what is already happening or should be happening. At worst, those labels become misapplied marketing speak that does nothing but muddy the waters.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Principal, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world