Somebody recently asked what are other approaches that are generally used
besides UCD, to which I reply:
1. Stakeholder-centered Design
 - VP says he likes the feature and the users will like what he likes
because he plans on being a user
 - Marketing says they need 48 questions in the registration process b/c
they need the information

2. Technology-centered Design (most common - and the one Norman's company is
embracing by taking design out and doing just agile)
 - what is this?

   -  Technology driven
   -  Internal architecture focus
   -  Developers are isolated from the user
   -  No user validation (until release)
   -  Focus on technical benchmarking
   -  Continuous technical enhancements

3. Competitor-centered Design
- they do it, therefore we should do it, never mind asking whether the user
base actually thinks the competitor's product sux

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM, mark schraad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree with most all of this Andrei. The problem is that UCD is not
> how many many products are developed. And that is the reason the term
> still has value.
>
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Andrei Herasimchuk
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Oct 6, 2008, at 9:16 AM, Kurt Krumme wrote:
> >
> >> My problem is with the term User Centered Design itself.  I agree
> >> that it's become over generalized.  But every time I hear it, I ask
> >> myself, "As opposed to what"?
> >>
> >> In my work, I define design as the practice of defining goals and
> >> problems and then working to solve them. (note: I'm only speaking
> >> practically, I'm not trying to define design in its entirety for
> >> everyone)  If you're building a web site, how could you do anything
> >> other than put the user and their interaction with the site first and
> >> foremost in every decision?   Like many things in our industry, I
> >> think that people tend to introduce jargon in an attempt to
> >> legitimize the field.  If it sounds fancy, it must be good!
> >>
> >> In my opinion it's just design, plain and simple.
> >
> > Bingo.
> >
> > --
> > Andrei Herasimchuk
> >
> > Principal, Involution Studios
> > innovating the digital world
> >
> > e. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > c. +1 408 306 6422

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.128 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
aim: semanticwill     |  gtalk: wkevans4
twitter: semanticwill | skype: semanticwill