On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Will Evans wrote:

Somebody recently asked what are other approaches that are generally used
besides UCD, to which I reply:
1. Stakeholder-centered Design
- VP says he likes the feature and the users will like what he likes
because he plans on being a user
- Marketing says they need 48 questions in the registration process b/c
they need the information

2. Technology-centered Design (most common - and the one Norman's company is
embracing by taking design out and doing just agile)
- what is this?

  -  Technology driven
  -  Internal architecture focus
  -  Developers are isolated from the user
  -  No user validation (until release)
  -  Focus on technical benchmarking
  -  Continuous technical enhancements

3. Competitor-centered Design
- they do it, therefore we should do it, never mind asking whether the user
base actually thinks the competitor's product sux

Again, Is UCD a methodological framework (or whatever you call it)? Are these things one of those too?

Or is UCD just a state-of-mind?

Am I just supposed to feel particularly UCDish today?

Jared