On Oct 6, 2008, at 3:46 PM, Dan Saffer wrote:

To me, UCD is an approach to design that suggests certain methods. Personas, for instance, with their frequent emphasis on user goals, seems to be a technique suggested by an UCD approach. Something like Indi Young's Mental Models (aka alignment diagrams) would be a technique that Activity-Centered Design approach might engender.

We should not forget the two other major approaches as well: systems design, and "genius design." Those are valid approaches to our work as well.

Which brings me back to my original assertion:

if you ask 10 UX professionals what their approach to UCD is, you'll get (a minimum of) 10 answers.

:)

Jared