Not to get too philosophical, but I have been thinking a lot about
'needs' lately. I never really 'needed' a mobile phone or an ipod, but
once I had them I realized great utility and benefit from both.
Also... the need in this case is only partially a product or
technology thing, but weighted more towards the 'who' and 'how common'
of the community it has grown. It is a little different than when I am
trying to do something specific and the right tool isn't available.

Sometimes the tool, and its diffusion create the need.

Mark