Ahoj Linda,

I've worked in a number of teams such as might interest you. All of them were
small (<= 6 members), so I wouldn't want to theorise about how bigger teams
would work.

The best situations for me have always been those in which the notion of a "UX
team" is really a label used for convenience by human resources folks rather
than a properly distinct business unit. That pours cold water on the ideas of
those who like to 'build empires' but there you go. Maintaining a team as a
kind of separate entity to developers or business analysts doesn't really work
in my experience, usually because of the fact that what we do is still "alien"
to a lot of people.

I like to work in the tried-and-tested law firm format: a senior who provides
leadership and also operates on a strategic level, a number of "associates"
each with their specialities (interaction design, usability testing,
requirements gathering) with some overlapping of course, and junior members who
preferably "rotate" their duties to gain exposure to all parts of the process.

I think junior team members don't get enough opportunities to develop
themselves nowadays. It's important to encourage them to develop additional
capabilities that can be utilised when they reach associate level and a kind of
maturity in writing through their contributions to project documentation. Apart
from feeling valued, they also respond well to being considered as upcoming
experts in their areas.

Discussions on this board and elsewhere have also highlighted the interesting
angle of practising a methodology such as Agile or RUP. I'm working in a RUP
regime at the moment and it's relatively new ground though much of it is common
sense.

It's always interesting to take what you know and make it work under the
prevailing (and frequently different) business conditions, but in practical
terms, it leads to an improved rapport between UX teams and the business/client
which has been working this way for a lot longer.

In this way, I once had to remodel a visual design team's business processes in
order to meet ISO9001:2000 quality standards. You can probably imagine that, a
UX professional sitting in seminars about feedback loops and kite marks, but
there's actually a surprising amount of common ground in there with what we do
everyday and I found myself really curious and increasingly keen despite
myself! ;-)

Thx,

Mike Padgett
www.mikepadgett.com