I like the track that Jay is on here. So at the risk of stating the obvious, my
experience has so far been that those organisations that have recognised the
intrinsic value of (online) UX in helping to differentiate them from the
competition will input the most resources.

To illustrate that, online banking - in which I have been heavily involved in
the last few years - is a particular area in which I have noted some of the
most sophisticated in-house UX operations.

In-house is in many ways more interesting to me, because a) all decent agencies
should be capable of being considered UX experts anyway and b) orgs have to
make a considerable effort to integrate such an "alien" species into their
business cultures in a way that demands considerable creativity when thinking
about how to achieve accountability, measurability and billability (sic).

As I mentioned in a previous post on this subject, building a UX team to fit
organisational expectations, including a quality standard such as ISO9001:2000
or recognised process models (e.g. RUP), can be real challenges for design
managers. This sort of integration can and should be encouraged and I consider
myself fortunate to have been involved in initiatives like these because
they're a two-way street.

Artefacts that might seem at first glance fairly unrelated to our field (e.g.
feedback loops, sales paths and iterative business modelling) are capable of
being adapted and used in UX work itself, indeed they often already inform it.
And while much of our work is experimental, these are things that will help us
with our daily management responsibilities.

Put simply, you can learn a lot from accountants, lawyers and salespeople
because their roles have been around a lot longer than ours and we can
generally learn a lot from their experience. Or to borrow from Dean Gooderham
Acheson, it's not good policy to be an isolationist.

Besides, anyone who has run or is running a consultancy will know that you can
no longer consider yourself exclusively a designer or whatever. In fact, you're
a Photoshop composite of all of the above and you will be a better professional
for it.

Thx,

Mike Padgett
www.mikepadgett.com