I agree strongly with the catalog- or directory-based faceted
navigation; I've also used it with success in the past few years.
However, I don't think that negates a hierarchy. Depending on their
permanence, the records or content in the directory can be treated as
children of the directory and shown explicitly through the
breadcrumbs.This assigns them an unambiguous place in the information
structure.

Paul