For large volumes of content I prefer to use Excel, indenting the
children of each node by a column, and using the group feature to
expand or contract branches. It's not the easiest thing to build or
maintain, but it's the best thing I've found for keeping the
structure organized and presenting it at varying levels of
granularity. Although frankly in that regard I'm not sure if it's
any better than the outline feature of Word.

This is a great question...hoping others have found some techniques
or software that makes this task easier.

Paul