Nice find!
As interaction designers - we actually have more influence over behavior,
and can at least design for desired behaviors in the user's interactions
with the system - I am thinking most specifically about when Porter
discusses in his book the reputation and rewards system employed by Yelp's
IxD which informs, encourages, and guides certain behaviors while
deminishing others. This was also done by Digg - which removed their hall of
fame, and today you noticed a designers desire to provide a platform by
which to engage in some level of sociality when you got pelted on facebook
with snow balls and then kvetched about it on twitter :-)

Must grab a bite to eat, but will read the article later this evening.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:27 PM, David Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey David,
> Wow, I'm glad we're finally discussing this!  Yes, I do think as
> Interaction
> Designers we should be influencing behavior to the betterment of society.
>  In fact, this almost dovetails into what Eli Blevis talks about
> (sustainable interaction design).  Dave, I think you have a real
> opportunity
> here as you move into your role at SCAD.
>
> David
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:17 PM, David Malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hey there,
> >
> > Robert Fabricant of frog design write this nice piece on an designing to
> > change behavior.
> >
> > http://designmind.frogdesign.com/blog/design-for-impulse.html
> >
> > The topic of behavior economics is important, and one I know I haven't
> > thought nearly enough about (despite being mentioned in the article).
> What
> > do people think about this in our domain as IxDers?
> >
> > -- dave
> >
> > --
> > David Malouf
> > http://synapticburn.com/
> > http://ixda.org/
> > http://motorola.com/
> >

> --
> "Making peoples lives easier daily... since 1969"
>
> w: http://spinjunkey.wordpress.com

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
aim: semanticwill
gtalk: semanticwill
twitter: semanticwill
skype: semanticwill