That's an interesting piece - 'Design for Impulse' is another variation to
reference!

I've been researching what I call 'Design with Intent' (
http://architectures.danlockton.co.uk/what-is-design-with-intent/ ) for a
few years now, more recently (for my PhD at Brunel in London) focused on
influencing more sustainable use of products and systems (
http://architectures.danlockton.co.uk/design-for-sustainable-behaviour/ )
rather than health issues, but many of the same techniques can be applied
(and that's an important part of the research). The basic message is: "*We
know that design influences behavior, so lets's try and do something good
with that*."

We're trying to develop a method for helping designers choose which
techniques are most applicable to which kinds of desired behavior change,
and which type of approach (enabling/motivating/constraining behavior) is
most likely to succeed in different contexts. Compare also the work of BJ
Fogg and others working on Persuasive Technology' as a discipline -
http://captology.stanford.edu/

It's clear that behavioral economics, specifically a deeper understanding of
cognitive biases and heuristics, can be immensely important for designing
interactions and understanding how to influence users. Richard Thaler calls
this 'choice architecture' (
http://architectures.danlockton.co.uk/2008/06/10/nudges-and-the-power-of-choice-architecture/)
but in a sense it's what designers of many stripes have been doing for
years. We all know that placing some item at eye level makes it more likely
that people will choose it; we put chairs round a table if we intend that
people sit down; we (not always!) make sure a handle has the perceived
affordance of a handle if we want people to pull it.

Yet as a principle - obvious as it is - it's not often taught explicitly to
designers or architects (or human factors engineers / ergonomists, for whom
it really could be a fundamental part of the profession). Buckminster Fuller
understood this - *"I made up my mind... that I would never try to reform
man — that's much too difficult. What I would do was to try to modify the
environment in such a way as to get man moving in preferred directions" -
but it's *quite rare to hear it expressed formally as part of a design
course.

This seems maybe a good time to announce a new discussion group - Design and
Behavior (http://designandbehavior.com ) - to fellow IxDA members - myself
and Debra Lilley from Loughborough University, set it up last month and we
have about 100 members so far who are working in this kind of field of
examining how the design of systems influences user behavior, and how this
knowledge might be applied for social benefit. I was holding off on
announcing it here until we had a few more discussions going, but please,
anyone who's interested, feel free to have a look or get involved.

Thanks Dave for bringing this up - if you *do* intend to include this sort
of stuff on your course, I'd be happy to help!

Best wishes
Dan Lockton