I'm going to be overly simplistic for the moment b/c people are
getting very heady (even for me). As a designer I think of strategy
in two different ways.

1. Why? - The strategy conveys the why. Which in my mind relates to
all goals for the project.

2. Vision - Strategic planning in the design process for me is the
100k view. What does this mean?
a. It means you are looking at a much larger swath of the problem
than you will probably directly address.
b. You are looking through time beyond the normal horizon line if you
were on the ground
c. You are looking at the frameworks and not the details