On Jan 28, 2009, at 6:52 PM, Jim Leftwich wrote:

1) Initial information gathering, stakeholder interviews and
discussions, and review and analysis of existing bodies of
information and solutions/products/systems/services. In RED, however,
this is done very rapidly, and filtered through what's already known,
or been done previously, by the RED designer/team.

2) Rapid prototyping (this will vary among RED practitioners). My
team uses extensive paper prototyping, flows, layouts, and pattern
diagrams, iterating these to quickly explore interrelationships and
refine effective solutions.

3) Produce implementable specifications that engineers can implement
in a high-fidelity manner (blueprints), rather than spend too much of
the limited time producing interactive prototypes and limited
documentation (that engineers must analyze and try to
reduce/reproduce as an implementation.

Jim,

I'm really trying. But I'm not getting it.

This, to me, just seems like standard operating procedure for design done without outside research. It'll work well when the experience of the design team is such that the decisions they make are smart decisions. It'll fail when the team makes decisions that they don't realize cause problems down the road.

This is not unlike processes used by teams all over the world, many of whom end up producing designs the users love. And many of whom end up producing designs the users despise. (Think of almost any design from a major company that frustrates the hell out of you and I'll bet you their team used this approach.)

So, please help me understand how this is any different than what's been done in technology design for the past 30+ years.

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: jmspool
UIE Web App Summit, 4/19-4/22: http://webappsummit.com