To address Gabby's question, a very small web-sized selection of bits
of my own projects can be found at my site:

http://www.orbitnet.com/

And though it's from 2005, a slideshow and accompanying set of
slides giving very high-level overviews of a selection of projects
can be found at:

Text:
http://orbitnet.com/iasummit2005/

Slides:
http://www.orbitnet.com/iasummit2005/iasummit2005.html

...though these examples were not aimed at laying out a reductionist
process, but rather distilling some lessons learned along the way
from each of these projects.

For some of the documentation samples included in those slides, it's
important to note that there are often hundreds of similar pages that
would've gone into the development, and many more that serve as part
of the implemenation documentation.

As for how clients are approached, many project begin by actually
doing a short but intense project to give an overview of the phases
that will comprise the project.  The teams I've worked with (in
consulting roles) always create very detailed, often design-filled
proposals.  We've even done first draft style guides to show the
approach we will take more fully in a project.  I've seen a lot of
text-based design proposals, and I've also had a number of clients
from large consumer electronic corporations comment that they were
really convinced by both the past work we've shown and, in cases
where we did it, our proposal's quick overview designs.

Nobody I'm familiar with has ever simply asked a client to trust
them, without given them a great deal of confidence of what they've
done, and what they will do and deliver.

Ironically, I can hardly count the times I've been involved in
design projects that followed some former design consultancy that the
client was unhappy with, and I know that some of these involved large
teams and quite a bit of research and process.  Apparently some of
these have difficulty in translating all of that research and process
into an actual implementable design.  At least that's what I hear
from some clients.

And I actually did lay out the three primary activities that make up
the RED projects I and others have worked on:

I'll repeat them here again, as some evidently missed them:

1) Initial information gathering, stakeholder interviews and
discussions, and review and analysis of existing bodies of
information and solutions/products/systems/services. In RED, however,
this is done very rapidly, and filtered through what's already known,
or been done previously, by the RED designer/team.

2) Rapid prototyping (this will vary among RED practitioners). My
team uses extensive paper prototyping, flows, layouts, and pattern
diagrams, iterating these to quickly explore interrelationships and
refine effective solutions.

3) Produce implementable specifications that engineers can implement
in a high-fidelity manner (blueprints), rather than spend too much of
the limited time producing interactive prototypes and limited
documentation (that engineers must analyze and try to
reduce/reproduce as an implementation.

These phases and their embodiments and examples are *best and most
easily* discussed within the context of a review of real
documentation, rather than through a run down of a reductionist list.

In proposals we describe in detail how these three activities will be
conducted (iteratively) and what the specific deliverables will be and
at what times.

We use past project documentation to give new clients a sense for the
form and depth of this work.  It's not magic, nor mythical, nor
anything other than simply real work.

It's very much enough structure and process to give a client a sense
of how the development will proceed.  And this design work is almost
always very closely coordinated with the client and in some cases
carried on collaboratively (we've experienced many variations on
both).