I don't think how I and my partners design is anything at all like
whatever the design that's been done (as you characterize broadly)
"in technology design for the past 30  years."

I doubt that all of those teams, including the unsuccessful ones you
mentioned, approached things from very diverse and experienced
backgrounds, with expertise in designing a wide range of development
factors successfully.  I also doubt that those efforts have involved
teams producing pixel-perfect and behavioral-rule-perfect
specification blueprints, as we've done.

 I don't think the approach and level of design and interactional
architecture I'm describing is found in the typical way technology
design has been practiced across all products, software, and systems.
 I believe that the RED I'm describing is most often practiced by
consultants, and as you'd stated earlier, small teams.

I believe what you're alluding to is actually a lack of adequate
architectural design.  The typical effort has been a cobbled-together
mash of engineering with a big of marketing icing smeared over the
top.  Almost nothing could be further from the RED practice I'm
describing.

RED is much closer to how building architecture has been
traditionally approached.  We design it, produce the blueprints, and
the engineers build it.  Often it is very collaborative with
engineers.

And it's not as though there's no research.  It's just that the
research is conducted very quickly, and also involves extensively
pulling from any already-known body of knowledge at the client or in
the organization.

Your claim of it will work well when... and it will fail when... can
just as easily be applied to any type of methodology and any
generic/symbolic designer.

What I believe, from what I've experienced first hand and what I've
observed, is that experienced and broad-based RED practitioners and
small teams are capable, designer-for-designer/team-for-tem, of
producing more and superior products, in more conditions, in tighter
timeframes, for less cost, than any other method.  But that assumes
that the designers are both broadly talented and extensively
experienced.

The only way to determine whether or not this is true is to examine
the outcomes and the associated efforts that went into them.  That's
why I contend that when all is said and done, it comes down to
examples of actual work, as in the design, implementation, and
results.