On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Todd Zaki Warfel <li...@toddwarfel.com> wrote:
> It's not targeted at you directly, but rather a real question, which is how
> is a program manager any less likely to screw up the UI?

If you  mean "less likely than a developer" then you didn't read the
article.  In the column, Joel emphasizes the importance of this person
(ignore job title for now) communicating with users, communicating
across teams, and encoding the understandings gained from those
experiences into a document that emphasizes function without being too
tied to any methods by which the function is implemented. He also
explicitly refers to things like user testing.

I just don't know (m)any programmers who have those things as their
primary responsibilities; do you?

I do believe that an emphasis on those things is statistically more
likely to produce better design, and I'm betting you believe the same
thing, no?

Best,
--Alan