On Mar 12, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Scott Berkun wrote:

I think I framed this question the wrong way. What I want is this:

If you knew a VP of Marketing at WidgetCo who suddenly decided his widgets needed to be easy to use, what should he do? Since he knows *nothing* about IXda, or usability, or any of it, where does he start? How can he find a good design firm to hire? Or get guidance on hiring his first full time
Design person?

What I'm mystified by is the lack of any website or FAQ sheet to give to a VP like this to answer their basic questions. I've looked and I've found nothing. It seems a basic piece of evangalism for what this list is about.

Know of anything?

I've actually been thinking about writing an article about this lately, because it's something we've been called on to help with a lot.

For hiring in general, I'm a huge fan of Lou Adler's Hire With Your Head philosophy (http://tinyurl.com/LouAdler). I believe you can hire anyone well, by using his technique, even if you're not sure what that person does or how they do it.

The basic gist is this: You hire, not on expertise, but by demonstrating that they have the ability to do what you need done.

You start by listing performance objectives -- in one year, what would you have expected the new hire to have accomplished. This gets you a clear understanding of what you need accomplished.

Then everything you do to hire (whether a full time, contractor, or consulting firm) is based on those objectives. You recruit the candidates using the objectives. You screen them comparing their resumes to the objectives. You conduct phone interviews, having them tell you about the accomplishments they are most proud of, comparing those accomplishments to the objectives. The interviews are all about the comparable work they've done. The reference checks are all about the comparable work they've done.

In the end, you've spent hours understanding how what the candidates have actually done, comparing it directly to your objectives. Even if you don't really understand how they do it, you can see how what they've done would help you.

I don't think there's any more magic to hiring an interaction designer when you don't know anything about interaction design, as there is to hiring a bookeeper when you don't know how to keep books. If you clearly know what you need done (and that's the key part), then you should have no trouble finding someone who has comparable experience having done it already.

What a VP of Marketing hiring a UX person doesn't want to do is hire someone with no previous comparable experience. Hiring folks who have potential, but no previous experience, should only be done by a manager who can act as a mentor and teacher.

Hope that helps,

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: jmspool
UIE Web App Summit, 4/19-4/22: http://webappsummit.com