Not all forms of production are DESIGN. Engineering is not the same as
design.
Many companies are examples of engineering success.

that doesn't make it NOT a success. It just means its not an example of
design success.

This isn't intrinsically a bad thing.
For some the differentiation itself may be meaningless. But for others it is
very meaningful.
It is meaningful on a few levels:
1) For those of us invested in design, it tells us we have things we need to
learn to do better.
2) It also highlights possible opportunities for improvement b/c unlike what
was implied in Jennifer's question I believe there is always space to
improve. It is called taking your advantage and expanding on it, to protect
it from encroachment. This means, that if we take a new lens to the problem
space maybe we can develop further improvements that further extend the lead
in the market place.

-- dave

--
Dave Malouf