Jenifer,

Thank you for providing your insider-informed and well-reasoned perspective.

I'd like to respond to this remark you made about my earlier post:

On Mar 22, 2009, at 7:10 AM, Jenifer Tidwell wrote:
The point about hill-climbing with
data-driven incremental changes is well taken, but honestly, don't you think that It Would Be Bad to accidentally send Google Web Search into a design
valley while you blundered about looking for a higher hill?

By my comments (reproduced below), I didn't mean that a company should leap blindly off their current hill in hopes of landing on a higher one. My point was that "over-reliance" on data-driven incremental changes would be ill-advised, as would choices made "solely on the basis of performance data".

I advocated "a smart combination of analytical thinking and design thinking" to better climb the current hill and also search for taller mountains.

The post by my former colleague Tom Chi that dave malouf cited makes that same point and more. It's at http://www.ok-cancel.com/comic/177.html .

Also, like several others who have commented on this topic, I was not referring specifically to Google, but rather to the practice of web design wherever it takes place.

Larry Tesler