Larry, I agree with the dangers of hill-climbing to the exclusion of finding
new hills, but I don't believe this is the case at Google.

Data-driven design is used when performing incremental design changes, and
is more like QA or Usability testing. Neither preclude the utilization of
blue-sky or revolutionary design, but all are important in optimizing
design.

Even Doug's examples of 41 blues and 3, 4, or 5 pixel borders aren't cases
where data is inhibiting the crossing of a design valley, unless you
consider a hue or a pixel width to be revolutionary.

For another former Google designer's take on Doug's departure, and Google UX
in general, I submit the post I wrote this morning:
http://fury.com/2009/03/google-design-the-kids-are-alright/

Thanks,
Kevin Fox