I personally also hate extremely large conferences (even though I
can't afford to go to many during the year), because its so
difficult to meet new people and really get to know others. I was
thinking that perhaps we might consider taking a cue from ACM, which
has an incredibly varied base of disciplines that each have their own
Special Interest Group (SIG). This way, we can all potentially be
under one organization and then still keep our specializations such
as IA, IxDA, Usability, Research, and anything else that might come
up in the future.

Additionally, if we are all under an umbrella organization, it might
be possible to attract people from different, yet related fields such
as industrial design, library science, web development, and even
psychologist, sociologists, and biologists. I think infusing our
discipline with other perspectives will really enrich everyone's
experience and we are sorely lacking and insulated in this respect
(this point was made by Eric Reiss at IA summit).

-Alla