"What are some of the non-software things that you all see
interaction designers doing? ... I'm looking for specifics
situations where what you think of as interaction design is being
done that is not related to software."

Here's a few examples:

Robert Fabricant gave an excellent keynote at IxD09 describing an
HIV-testing kit for men in Africa, applying behavioral & interaction
design principles. That surely wasn't software.

Marc Rettig likewise described extensively a project for dealing with
sleep apnea and related sleeping disorders, applying interaction
design methods and values, coming up with some solutions to help
sufferers in a humane way. That wasn't software by a longshot.

2nd Road led by Tony-Golsby Smith in Sydney does extensive service
and business process design work, working with insurance companies
and banks in Sydney. They even tackled the Australian Tax Code (not a
website, mind you, the actual tax code, working with their finance
ministers, along with Dick Buchanan/CMU) and even a side project
dealing with Aboriginal reconciliation policies/processes.

I met folks in Wellington NZ Inland Revenue Office doing the same
things, applying IxD methods and artifacts to re-design their tax
collection system (both digital and offline).

Live / Work is known in the UK for doing extensive service design
projects outside typical software problems.

Carl diSalvo, recent PhD Interaction Design recipient at CMU is
focused on robotics, not software.

These are just some examples off top of my head in real-time. I
created a poster on flickr (http://tinyurl.com/d5kprk) itemizing
various domains of problems where interaction design can be applied,
outside software. While I agree that ultimately alot of these
projects do eventually become "digital" in some form (website,
mobile app, installable app, since we are in the digital era) they
still involve up-front distinctly non-software problems, thereby
demonstrating IxD foremost as a perspective and conceptual toolkit
agnostic to any particular technology.

Hope this helps!