I think a good question to ask is "what is a designer responsible for?"

Designers are usually *not* responsible for coming up or even modifying a business model.

But they had better *understand* the business model, because it absolutely affects design.

As a consultant, I tend to toe the line...and I help out with some parts of business models as they relate to design.

But when I'm designing, actually creating interfaces, it's not my job to tell the business folks what to do...business models are their specialty (doesn't mean they're great at it). My job is to translate the business model they've created into screens that support it.

So, in the example of Amazon...if lowest price and fastest delivery are part of the business model, a designer might look for ways to reinforce those ideas/messages in the interface and shopping workflow.

And, sure, a designer might have an insight into how to improve the reliability of the shipping process or some other business concern, but that's not the job they're being paid to do.

Cheers,

Josh