cindy,

I like this explanation a lot. Jared's point is a good one, but I wouldn't make instructional design responsible for the learning process. There are different learning modalities and (gardner's visual, verbal, etc) Instructional design may succeed in facilitating learning with some and not with others. I think your right that ID uses ixd but ID is also applied to the sequencing of activities, the use of resources, roles, tasks, and goals of activities, the build of activities (which varies by discipline: reading and comprehension is taught differently than, say math or science, etc), and so on. So in my experience it hews closely to the content, and is design of a sort of the interaction with content. Bad ID would result in confusing the learning process, but good ID is not a guarantee of success.

415 516 4442     Twitter: /gravity7
Social Interaction Design, Expertise, Consulting (gravity7) (gravity7 blog) (slideshare)
Sr Fellow, Society for New Communications Research (SNCR)
Adhocnium Member (adhocnium)
LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com/in/adrianchan)
Facebook  (www.facebook.com/adrianchan)