I am not against testing. I am against involving users in the middle
of a design process.

1. The feedback solves problems in the wireframe/prototype face,
it's self referentical there is no real transcendence into the
design of the actual finished product.

2. 99% of what we do is repetition of what we have done before. I can
understand involving the user if you are doing something truly new
(like a new mouse or a new type of keyboard) but most of the times
your experience should be enough.

3. It's much more useful to actually test after the product have
launched. Most often this get ignored. Instead of spending money on
something that leads to 1. then I would always suggest to my clients
they should figure out what the user needs in the beginning, then
design, then test to see actual usage. Testing in the middle give you
a false sense of the usability of the project. And it's my claim that
the reason why UCD have so much weight today is because there are a
lot of academics who don't know how to actually design (i.e. making
a decision) so they need to take it into a process where they use
user input to make decisions with. (yes it's an overgeneralization
since there are obvious great academic UX'ers out there, but the
rule of thumb is, if they don't know how to sit down and actually
co-produce themselves they are not worth whatever money you spend on
them.