Thomas:  I think you are bringing up some interesting points.  I don't agree
fully with all of them, but they are thoughtful.  Being the design process a
subjective one, I consider Usability Testing a good way to evaluate the
design with people that will be using the product soon.  I am pragmatic
about it though, and follow the RITE approach on functional prototypes
and/or iteratively test the product itself as it is being built (once enough
functionality is in place to test complete taskflows).

The design process never ends since there is always room to improve the
experience, so yes, we should keep embracing feedback after the app is in
Production, but to wait all the way till the product is released into
Production and leverage solely on that can be an expensive decision.

Regarding UCD, I partially agree with you in the sense that there is an
irrational focus on "analysis" and modeling, and some people seem incapable
to do it the right way or to produce good designs despite those efforts.
Even some aspects of Research can be broken down and executed iteratively.
But that is a topic for another discussion I guess.

Gilberto