It's an odd one, and feels like it fits browsing better than search. For
instance, I love it on www.flickriver.com, where I can browse endlessly
through photos, but I wouldn't like it as default Google behaviour. I'm not
quite sure why that is.. I can think of two possibilities:

  1) It feels more 'manageable' to get pages of search results that aren't
more than a couple of screens or so. I can quickly scan this page and assess
the results.
  2) There's the possibility, even if you dont use it much, to skip through
non-consecutive results. With an infinite scroll interface, you can't skip -
you have to load sequentially.

Other aspects are browser related - as mentioned you can't use the back
button to return to previous results, and you can't easily get a permalink
to your current screen.

http://formd.net