The perpetual scrolling behaviour can be achieved on many websites
(including Google) with this Firefox add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4925 . Considering it's
quite popular there seem to people who enjoy this kind of behaviour
across all kinds of different websites.

Personally, I think for people who are familiar with the scroll wheel,
perpetual scrolling eases interaction with webpages that are lists of a
lot of items to look through. It allows to skim through the page even
faster without stopping to click on next pages links, while scanning for
interesting items. I'm afraid it may not be so good for the advertising
on the webpage though.