Don't forget about the case in which people are scanning a list or grid, but
after scanning down to the bottom, they decide to go back and review items
higher up in the list.

In this case - which I have seen play out many times in utesting of web-based
apps - doubling up the pagination and sorting controls at top and bottom is the
right design decision.

Paul Sherman, Principal, ShermanUX
User Experience  Research | Design | Strategy
p...@shermanux.com
www.ShermanUX.com
+1.512.917.1942