I'd generally agree that real estate at the top of the page tends to be too
valuable to spend on pagination.

Some points:

   - In e-commerce, pagination tends to be used to a greater degree than the
   low/1% stat from web search
   - The #1 use case I've seen for top of page pagination, while working at
   MSN Search, was to return to page 1 from page 2 after noticing the results
   were less relevant or uninteresting.  The back button works for this too and
   the controls were little used aside from this situation.  We dropped them.

I've actually tested top of page pagination in an e-commerce venue by
creating a control condition in which the top of page copy was increased in
size to maintain the same vertical footprint in a multivariate design that
toggled top of page pagination.  We found that top pagination added little
value to this situation, while screen real estate added consistent value.
The copy seemed to effect only a subset of users and thus while positive was
not strong enough to warrant giving up vertical real estate.

One deep thought on pagination to close: In a talk at Web 2.0 Expo in 2007 I
showed a graph from MSN Search in which users click on the numeric links in
standard < 1 2 3 4 5 > style pagination to a decreasing amount as the page
number increases. I attribute this to user goal differences, "I'm going to
check page 2" versus "I'm going to scan these results".

hth, Andy