Our site has a lot of data and I have Search on the top of the page
and pagination only at the bottom. The reason for doing this was that
the search on the top searches for alphanumeric characters across all
the columns and shrinks the numbers of row to have corresponding
value. Now, if this the case users don't generally have to go to
different pages and therefore pagination on the top and bottom would
be too much.
Also there is number of results per page drop down option to reduce
scanning too many pages.
Hope this helps!