On 2015-12-16 10:00 AM, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
On 2015/12/16 18:37, Pat Tressel wrote:
MailChimp is a very popular product. If you have a provable accusation
against them -- that they were acting **independently of the account
administrator** to alter lists, then that would be significant. As Rob
has stated, MailChimp did not do something by itself. The list was
aggregated from previous lists and events in which people participated.

I have also received a similar unsolicited mail. I would like to know
who has authorized
the aggregation and usage of email address from "previous lists and
events in which
people participated". I think every event has a privacy policy and
e-mail address provided
are only to be used for communicating about the specific event and not
for aggregating for
future use.

For the record, the use of such mailing services for FOSS4G promotion is not new. Even FOSS4G 2015 (Seoul) used MailChimp in a very similar way, I still have some of their mails in my archives, and I'm sure other past events did as well but I didn't bother digging any further.

How can you realistically expect to do outreach to new people if you only announce your event on osgeo-discuss?

This anti-anything-locationtech-does drama is becoming boring, please let's get over it.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

http://evouala.com/ - Location Intelligence Made Easy