On 2015/12/16 07:00, Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
On 2015/12/16 18:37, Pat Tressel wrote:
MailChimp is a very popular product. If you have a provable
accusation against them -- that they were acting **independently of
the account administrator** to alter lists, then that would be
significant. As Rob has stated, MailChimp did not do something by
itself. The list was aggregated from previous lists and events in
which people participated.

I have also received a similar unsolicited mail. I would like to know
 who has authorized the aggregation and usage of email address from
"previous lists and events in which people participated". I think
every event has a privacy policy and e-mail address provided are only
to be used for communicating about the specific event and not for
aggregating for future use.

I too received the unsolicited email.

Presumably it was because I was involved with
the organization of FOSS4G2007.

I have already used the (tracked) Unsubscribe link,
and provided the feedback option that I unsubscribed
because I never opted in.

My suggestions:
1)
It may need to be clarified, or explicitly stated
(e.g. anywhere OSGeo/FOSS4g-related that collects
an email address), but I would suggest that it is
acceptable to utilize "collected email addresses"
for "1-time announcement" emails.

2)
When sending a "1-time announcement" email:
- do not utilize any form of "tracking"
- make it clear that this is a "1-time" email
  (i.e. in this case, for FOSS4GNA)
- provide multiple methods in the email (such
  as links and a "reply with xxxx in the subject"
  email mechanism) so that the recipient can
  "opt in"
- provide a clear (untracked) method so that the
  recipient can "opt out" of any further "1-time"
  emails (i.e. in this case, for FOSS4GNA)

--
Dave Patton
Victoria, B.C.

Degree Confluence Project: