liffy99;331117 Wrote:
> Ok - now that I've recorded loads of music, I notice even more than
> before the huge volume differnces between albums. Looking at some
> tracks on Audacity I can see that some have been "maxed" to the nines
> during the production process  - all high level with little dynamic
> range (e.g. Keb Mo's "Suitcase") whilst others are far less
> aggressively mastered.
>
> When I tried using album gain with EAC, I noticed that levels always
> seem to be reduced by a few Db. How is this "gain" (shouldn't that be
> "negative gain". What is it using as a reference to reduce the gain ?
>
> I'd ideally like to increase the volume level of some of my quieter
> albums but preserve the dynamic range - i.e. increase the min and max
> levels by the same amount.
>
> Can I do this with files that are now stored in FLAC format ? What
> software would I need ? Any other tips ?
>
> CheersI would say that most modern albums (guessing 95% and up) need a
negative replay gain.  That means that the volume needs to be lowered
to match up with other albums and not get into overiding peak values
and causing clipping.  Clipping is bad and can cause problem the least
of which is damage to your speakers.  Most replay gain programs are set
to around .89db so you normally have negative values in the replay gain.
Using dbpoweramp or foobbar you can have it tag your files with album
gain and track gain.  Album gain will keep albums that you are playing
to the same level while allowing songs to vary as they do on the
original album.  Track  gain is useful for playlists to keep individual
songs in the same volume range. It's the most important for mixes and
playlists.  You need to set volume control in the settings on the SB to
smart gain and the SB will use track gain when needed and album gain
when needed.  It works rather well.  Make sure what ever program you
use does both album and track gain. Track gain probably being the most
important if you do mixes.  If you happen to have Itunes soundcheck
tags then don't use replay gain as the Squeezecenter software doesn't
work right with both tags.  It adds them both together and causes too
much volume reduction or gain if you have a postitive replaygain
number.  Most new music runs between -5db and -12db because of the
volume wars.  Everyone wants to be noticed and dynamic range be damned.
Louder is better.  I recommend dbpoweramp and let it do it's thing.

EDIT:  Once you have replay gain working, just use your volume dial to
adjust.  The big round one usually. :)

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality