Thanks Nonreality - very clear explanation.

I've used Foobar 2000 to add replay gain (as single album option) to a
Keb Mo recordimg - overall level reduction of 9.04 db (yikes). I'll
listen later but assume that the level of this album will now be 9db
below many others so I just need to wind the volume up when needed.

Of course this can't sort out the woeful mastering - how did this mess
ever arise ?

I remember the good old days when the source was the source and we all
spent many happy hours tweaking and changing equipment to get the best
out of it. Now not only do the manufacturers keep changing the
platforms but seems they also mess up the source itself.

aagaaghh

--
liffy99