liffy99;331154 Wrote:
> I've used Foobar 2000 to add replay gain (as single album option) to a
> Keb Mo recordimg - overall level reduction of 9.04 db (yikes).

Try a Red Hot Chili Peppers album...-12 dB across the board.

> I'll listen later but assume that the level of this album will now be
> 9db below many others so I just need to wind the volume up when needed.

Not if all your music has RG tags.  They say how to adjust playback to
achieve 89 dB average volume.  So your Keb Mo recording will be played
back at -9 dB, resulting in 89 dB average volume, and another album
with say -6 dB will be played back at -6 dB, also resulting in 89 dB
average volume, and say you have Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Californication- (one of the worst examples of loudness wars) at -12
dB, well, that'll be played back at -12 dB, resulting in 89 dB average
volume.

Of course, this is for whole albums - that the -average- volume of the
-whole- album will be 89 dB.  Individual tracks may be louder or
quieter as the artist intended.  It's much easier to understand this
concept if you only consider track gain, say in a random playlist
composed of songs from various artists out of many albums.  Then each
track is played back using an adjustment to bring it to roughly 89 dB,
so there's no volume jump between tracks.

> Of course this can't sort out the woeful mastering - how did this mess
> ever arise ?

Bad things tend to happen when record labels get involved.  ;-)  The
Wikipedia article is a very good read.

What's most disturbing about loudness wars is the fact that the damage
done to the recording is NOT corrected by ReplayGain.  The loss of
dynamic range is permanent as is digital clipping.  You can turn it
down, but if the samples are cut off, they won't come back.

--
Mark Lanctot